I live in a city with several good Vietnamese restaurants, and one of my favorite things to order is Bun, which is a vermicelli noodle bowl with some veggies and herbs, and your choice of meat toppings or spring rolls. Naturally I had to recreate it at home. I make no claims to authenticity on this dish, but it was satisfying enough for this non-Vietnamese person to enjoy for an impromptu lunch.
I started a pot of water to boil on the stove, then prepped the chicken in the Instant Pot. While the chicken was cooking, I assembled the rest of my ingredients.
Easiest Instant Pot Lemongrass Chicken
Lemongrass Chicken Ingredients:
- 2-4 tbsp finely minced lemongrass (I used pre-minced lemongrass sold in the produce section of my local Asian grocery store. You could also buy minced frozen lemongrass from an Asian grocery store, or mince fresh lemongrass yourself.)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 – 3 lbs chicken thighs (I used boneless/skinless, but you can use bone-in – just add a few minutes to the cooking time)
- 1 cup water
Lemongrass Chicken Directions:
Combine all ingredients in the inner pot of the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. Put the lid on the pot, make sure the vent is set to “sealing,” and set the Instant Pot for manual, 2 minutes. Once the cooking time is done, use the natural pressure release method.
Vietnamese Noodle Bowls
Serves as many people as you want
Noodle Bowl Ingredients (can all be prepared while chicken is cooking in the Instant Pot):
- Rice vermicelli, cooked according to package instructions
- Cucumber, diced, to taste
- Green leaf lettuce, thinly sliced, to taste
- Fresh mint leaves to taste, removed from stems
- Cilantro leaves to taste, removed from stems
- Carrots, julienned, to taste
- Easiest Instant Pot Lemongrass Chicken
- Equal parts fish sauce, fresh lime juice, and white sugar.
- Minced hot peppers if desired
Noodle Bowl and Sauce Directions:
Arrange bowl ingredients to taste in a large bowl. Use whichever proportions you prefer. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and season your noodle bowl to taste.
Want to start your own Takeout Breakout? Download my free guide!