These breakfast nachos were made on a whim when my four year old noticed the bag of chips and asked to eat them for breakfast while I was frying some eggs.
Ingredients (consider each ingredient optional and each quantity “to taste”; this is a really flexible recipe template):
- Tortilla chips (blue corn looks pretty, though you can use any kind)
- Cooked beans (either home cooked or canned; whichever you have on hand)
- Shredded cheese
- Raw vegetables (I used lettuce and tomato)
- Scallions and/or cilantro (I used both)
- Oil of your choice, for frying
- Salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
Turn on the broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread tortilla chips in a single layer. Sprinkle cooked beans on top, and then sprinkle shredded cheese. Place pan under the broiler and broil until cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet and fry your eggs until they reach your desired level of done-ness. Chop raw vegetables and herbs.
When the cheese is melted, remove pan from broiler. Top with raw vegetables and fried eggs. Serve with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.